Wednesday, September 20, 2006

hamstring part deux

So it has now been nine days since my last run, and I must say it feels like forever. I have been diligently resting, icing, compressing, and elevating, as well as doing only non-painful cardio, which has included: stationary bike, stairmaster, swimming, and yesterday I took the big step up to the elliptical machine. Hopefully I will be pain free by this Sunday, just in time for our 20 mile run. According to Coach Adam it is our "most important run of our training," so I would hate to miss it.

I have now missed all 3 weeks of the mid-week speed training due first to a cold, then to my hamstring. I am hoping this doesn't negatively impact my marathon day, as speed work is supposedly crucial to training. I might just have to step it up next week and do some intervals on my own.

On Sunday, in place of our long weekend run, I went for a long swim and tried to match the cardio workout I would have gotten from the 11 miler. It has been about a year since I was in the pool, and I felt surprisingly good! I swam about 4500-5000 yards at my old stomping grounds (the Upper Main Line YMCA). It made me wish there were a nice pool in the city... I have a feeling the Chinatown YMCA might not qualify...

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger MEF said...

sarah, i'm injured too--a pulled hip flexor! hang in there...i hope we're both in good shape for the 20 miler! (ps, i've also missed a lot of the speed work)

let me know how you're doing!

-moira

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

Did the massage from the captain of Sporting Wood help the injury? Or how about the cold cerveza at Brother Jimmy's?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home